Barking was built in 1928 by Jas Pollock Sons & Co Ltd at Faversham for the Gas Light & Coke Co yard No.1304.
BARKING was used at Beckton for the Gas Light and Coke Works until about 1970, then sold on to other users; by 1979 it was at Belsize boatyard in Southampton in a derelict state and with all machinery removed.
Ian Woollett purchased this bare hull in 1979 and rebuilding commenced, first at Ferrol Road Boatyard, Gosport and then at his premises in Flaunden. The tug was relaunched at Gosport in September 2004 and sea trials were undertaken in 2005 with a trip to Teignmouth. BARKING is now part of the VIC 96 Trust and berthed at Chatham.
Master (1513 performance): Peter Whitehead