Built in Ouderkerk a/d lJssel in 1896 De Walvisch is an historic 117 year old twin-masted Dutch sailing Klipper, with monument status in Holland. Of riveted iron and steel construction, she has retained her original working lines, her original hull, roef and many of her 19th C features.
This type of sailing vessel was used to carry cargo, and many ships would travel the well established trade route between Holland and England, with ships sailing up until the 1930’s. De Walvisch delivered eels from Heeg to London, to feed the capital’s insatiable appetite for them. During the Second World War De Walvisch was commandeered by the Germans and her bow re-enforced for intended use as a landing craft to invade Britain.
After a full restoration over the last couple of years, including all round-wood replaced, she was sailed from Holland to her home port of London, where she has become The Cultureship.
Master (1513 performance): David Kew